Thursday, August 13, 2009

Real Beauty

The highlight of my day was visiting an elderly home-bound member of our congregation. Her body was crippled and her speech slow from a stroke, or a series of strokes, years ago. Her mind, however, was sharp and crisp.

Scattered throughout this tiny apartment in the assisted living facility she calls home were pictures of children, grandchildren, and of her beloved husband Bill. It's been more than nine years since he passed away - nine years since she was held in his arms. They were married in 1946 when she was just a freshmen in college.

It was the way she talked about him now, in the present, that struck me. She kept saying over and over "Oh, how I love Bill... I love Bill so much."

In my world obsessed with appearance and in a culture that idolizes youth, I saw real beauty today in the life of this woman. Thank you Sarah for that gift.

No comments: