Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Ironing - Session #1


If my shirts look a little wrinkled over the next several weeks, here's why. I decided after Pastor Rachel's sermon series on Amos to iron my own shirts during Lent. (Usually I just drop my shirts off at the dry-cleaners and a few days later, voilĂ ! - they're washed and neatly pressed.) I'm combining my desire to slow down during Lent with the hope of learning more about the "vulnerable" in our world. So as I iron each shirt I'll take a peek at the tag and see what country it was made in. I'll make my ironing time prayer time for each of those countries.

I decided to get started last night after the Ash Wednesday service. (If I didn't start right away I could easily let this one slide.) So here's what I discovered.

The eight shirts I ironed were made in six different countries. The green dress shirt was from Egypt. (Egypt was easy to pray for since it was in the news recently... at least until the titillating street fighting subsided.) But then came the brown shirt from Indonesia, the green striped one from Sri Lanka and the orange checkered shirt from Malaysia. I'm embarrassed to say I only know vaguely where these country are on the map. The last two countries, Korea and China, were obviously more familiar. But, I had no idea my meager wardrobe was so international!

As I pray my way through Lent, ironing and asking God for more of his heart for the world, I'll keep you posted on my blog. Perhaps you'll want to also share how God is leading you this Lenten season.

No comments: