Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Allegiance" message follow-up

We're off to a great start in our study on the 10 Commandments. The 10 Commandments are God's curriculum for living as truly free people. These are words to live by!

Here are the two quotes I used at the end of the message today. The first is attributed to C.S. Lewis:
"When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now. Insofar as I learn to love my earthly dearest at the expense of God and instead of God, I shall be moving toward the state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest at all. When first things are put first, second things are not suppressed but increased."

The last quote is John Wesley's Covenant Prayer. It appears in the Methodist Hymnal (I did not use the last phrase):
"I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
Exalted for thee or brought low by thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
Let it be ratified in heaven. Amen."

Lastly, be sure to check out my friend's website that has all the study materials for this series (10 Words to Live By). Greg is a special friend of mine and a great Bible scholar. You'll find lots of material to enrich your personal study.

(Tomorrow I'll post the lyrics to the 10 Commandments song that we're singing each week. You may even get a YouTube video out of me. Who knows!?)

No comments: