Friday, July 27, 2012

Solitude is Closer Than You Think

Sitting on a park bench in the shade of the Harris County Courthouse building (I had jury duty today) only 2 days after sitting on the shore of the lower Blue Lake at 11,000' in the mountains of Western Colorado it occurs to me that solitude may have little to do with one's surroundings.

I'm not knocking the practice of spiritual retreat from the noise of daily life. Far from it. In fact it may be precisely because of finding solitude in the mountains that I now find it in the city. It's just that the practice of solitude which our Savior modeled for us isn't dependent on "getting away from it all." How often have I said "if only I could get some quiet then I would retreat with Him"?

Solitude is closer than you think.


No comments: