Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Without Reward

Here's the Monday email message I sent to my congregation yesterday...

I'm tongue-tied today about how to respond to the weekend's violence in Charlotte, Virginia. I want to speak out, but don't know what to say. I worry my words will be misunderstood - that I might step on toes I didn't mean to, or that I'll be found uninformed, or that I'll be labeled with a position I don't fully embrace. I rationalize there is already plenty of commentary in the news and on social media. There's no need for me to pile on.

But yesterday Pastor Rachel preached on Luke 17:5-10. She reminded us that we serve the master Jesus "without need" (another way to translate the word "unworthy") for reward. In other words, we serve in God's Kingdom in response to a Savior who delights in us and gives us all. Then she asked what motivates our missional living. I realized then as she raised the question, as I do now as I consider my dilemma, that I am highly motivated by reward. I tend to keep silent when there's slim chance for reward. Ugh.

So, here it is. Here's what I can say as much as I know I can say right now. It doesn't feel like enough but it's what I'm sure of.

In the name of Jesus Christ and for the sake of his Kingdom, I am against any view that declares one race supreme above another. I am against any view that sees another person as anything less than created and loved by God. I grieve for my sisters and brothers of color who live in more fear today than yesterday. I grieve over those whose hearts are consumed by hate and bigotry. I grieve my silence and the sin living in my heart. I long for Jesus Christ to restore, mend, redeem, and return.

Yours for Christ,
Steve Oglesbee

No comments: