Thursday, December 21, 2023

Disappointment

How do you handle hurt and disappointment? How do you respond when life comes up short of your expectations? Joseph must have been disappointed when Mary turns up pregnant and he was not the father (Luke 1:18). In the face of this disappointment, Joseph hatches a plan to divorce Mary “quietly.” One translation of verse 19 reads, he “planned to send her away secretly.” I recognize this strategy. When disappointment comes my way, I just wanna move on. Don’t make a fuss. Stuff it “quietly.” Fix the problem and move on. “Send it away secretly.” Instead, God comes near and invites Joseph to move toward what he wants to push away. Joseph says yes, and Salvation is born.

Coddling disappointment is never a path toward growth. But neither is ignoring, fixing, or numbing. As I move toward pain and invite God into my hurts, new birth and blessing are possible.

Pastor Steve

Yours for Jesus, 

No comments: