Tuesday, July 30, 2024

No Stealing

The eighth commandment, “You shall not steal,” isn’t just about robbing banks or carjacking automobiles. It is about proper ownership. Lewis Smedes, in Mere Morality: What God Expects from Ordinary People, suggests a threefold test for the things we possess: 

First, is it FAIR? Have I come to own what I have by negotiation or contract with a party acting freely and responsibly, or was force, manipulation, or deception involved? 

Second, do I CARE? Am I careless with what I own, or careless toward others with what I own? For example, caring for my yard after Hurricane Beryl by gathering downed tree limbs is caring for my property. But placing those limbs in my neighbor’s driveway is not! 

Third, do I SHARE? Do I help others own what they need out of what I have? As physical beings, God has created us to own things we need and to need things to own. Even rightful ownership, when it deprives others of a share of what they need, is a form of stealing.

Look for an opportunity to share something this week. If you own multiples of a thing, consider loaning the newer or better of them. Also, look for an opportunity to borrow something this week. In a culture of affluence and self-sufficiency, lending and borrowing builds community and invites us to think about our relationship with the things we own.

Listen to the full message here or watch the entire worship service on our YouTube channel.

Yours for Christ, 

Pastor Steve

No comments: