Saturday, May 21, 2011

little hassles and eternal glory

All I wanted to do was pick up my laundry and head home for lunch.

Simple. Right?

It wasn't until I was parked in front of Don's Cleaners that I realized I had used the last check in the checkbook yesterday for my haircut. 'No problem,' I thought, 'I'll just run over to the ATM and pick up some cash.' (My wallet was empty too and Don does not take plastic.) I get to the ATM and the guy in front of me is doing his semi-annual banking. When he was finally finished and it was my turn, the ATM didn't work anymore. I tried to get my $20 but whatever the guy in front of me had done broke the ATM!!! How does that even happen??? 'No problem,' I told myself again. 'I'll just go inside to the teller and get my cash,' except there's only one teller and the couple in front me is from some business and their transactions are also taking forever! Finally, the teller from the drive through came over and at last I got my Andrew Jackson.

Then it was back to the cleaners.

I picked up my laundry.

By now I'm twenty minutes past when I told my wife I'd be home for lunch.

As I was driving home, now thoroughly irritated my mind flashed to the passage I'd read this morning: "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory." (2 Corinthians 4:17). Now, I'm pretty sure that Paul is talking about things bigger than empty checkbooks and mal-functioning ATM's. But what if it includes this stuff? What if in the minor irritations and little hassles of the day God is actually preparing us for an eternal weight of glory? What if what seem to us like moments of disruption and chaos in our day are really God-events training our spiritual beings for eternity?

3 comments:

rankin@weJohnsons.org said...

Make little the great;
make great the little.

99% of life is exactly this little stuff. If we can handle it, we're in pretty good shape.

Steve Oglesbee said...

Great comment Rankin. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think your right on. We have to work on our actions and reactions in every situation.